photo courtesy of LMS Museum.
Robert and Margaret Lawson (Ladysmith, BC) of Brisen Boatworks donated this HMCS Rainbow Skiff to the Ladysmith Maritime Society (LMS) in 2010. She entered retirement through public auction in 1929, and since then has languished as a lady of leisure – enjoying recreational ownership until 1977.
At that point, Barry Philbrook took her over until passing her onto Robert and Margaret in 1999; having never fulfilled his dream of restoration. As an aside, Barry built our treasured 35’ Ed Monk Sr. cruiser as a custom runabout for Owen Fowler; a means of commuting between Sidney and the Tortoise Islets (off Portland Island). We are told this was Barry’s 3rd boat while still under apprenticeship; built at Philbrook’s & Son Boatyard (Victoria, BC) in 1957.
For the next 11 years, between Robert and John Rodd, much work was accomplished on the Rainbow Skiff; both archival information and actual restoration. She was donated to the LMS in hope that restoration could find completion.
She is still waiting for her final make-over; task list available. Person(s) with skill needed!!
Here’s the story. Enjoy the read. Read more