A photo montage of 3rd Year BCIT – Joinery Apprenticeship our Flooring Manager Joel!
Another year for Joel at BCIT – Joinery Apprenticeship. All went well; next year booked.
Nice to know that fine woodwork is not a dying art; nor is it gender specific. Here is an excerpt from a letter I received from my Great-Niece, Vienna in Fort Fraser, BC. Her comment on her Grade 10 Wood Shop Class:
In my wood shop class I built a rocking dinosaur toy and I am currently working on a hope chest. There is only one other girl in my class and we work extra hard to show up the boys. They often tease me because I’m the smallest, and they know I’m tougher than them. Every class I think of you guys!
This year we had such good weather for our annual Corporate Camp-out on Galiano Island (Montague Harbour). As usual there was delicious food (beer-braised hot dogs with sauerkraut…. whaaat?!) and other fun water related activities.
Part III in the saga of the renovating of our milling manager Danny’s house! He shows us his work on his newly completed the reno on the master bedroom.
He has lots more work to do so stay tuned!
This winter we restored the plaster walls and ceiling in the master bedroom using a method that involves drilling holes around loose sections of plaster and injecting glue. The glue reattaches the loose plaster back to the lathe. The walls are now solid again! We decided to restore the plaster rather than remove and drywall because of the mess involved. And in my opinion the plaster is a better product!
Plaster is more mold and fire resistant than drywall and also more soundproof plus the character of plaster was important to us.
We stripped paint from the original door window shelf and I built new closet doors.
The saga continues with the work on Danny’s old house. This time he’s removing and replacing rotten window sill.
Repaired some insect damage in window jambs with epoxy also replaced a structural beam under the window (original damaged by carpenter ants some time ago.) Making new brackets to be structural. Originals were rotted! Will be coating those with an epoxy barrier coat.
Removed all the sash (5 total) stripped them and will be repainting this weekend. Also replaced all the sash cords for the counter weights.
Just like repairing a wooden boat.