This winter we restored the plaster walls and ceiling in the master bedroom using a method that involves drilling holes around loose sections of plaster and injecting glue. The glue reattaches the loose plaster back to the lathe. The walls are now solid again! We decided to restore the plaster rather than remove and drywall because of the mess involved. And in my opinion the plaster is a better product!
Plaster is more mold and fire resistant than drywall and also more soundproof plus the character of plaster was important to us.
We stripped paint from the original door window shelf and I built new closet doors.
Forget bird houses, these days it’s all about the bees; mason bees to be precise. We’ve all heard of the decline in honeybees and habitat loss but at $1+ per cocoon, we’ve hesitated and our fruit trees seem to produce just fine.
A month ago, we discovered that Jan’s dad had made these same bee houses. Without any cocoon purchases (rent must have been cheap enough) they were pretty much all rented out for the season. And by the following weekend, we had our own homes up and running. We’d become proud official so to be bee keepers trying to make a difference.
In-house Inspiration – Built by Ove Nielsen (Jan’s dad)
Always happy to chat about projects, Jan mentioned his new venture to a friend whose comment was “but you’ll be stealing someone else’s ‘paid-for’ bees”. And here I thought we were simply attracting errant bees in need of a hospitable refuge……and don’t the babies need a home to return too?
The saga continues with the work on Danny’s old house. This time he’s removing and replacing rotten window sill.
Repaired some insect damage in window jambs with epoxy also replaced a structural beam under the window (original damaged by carpenter ants some time ago.) Making new brackets to be structural. Originals were rotted! Will be coating those with an epoxy barrier coat.
Removed all the sash (5 total) stripped them and will be repainting this weekend. Also replaced all the sash cords for the counter weights.
Shelley isn’t always the beneficiary of Jan’s Day Off projects. He’s been fancying up the Hand-Tool Shop Area for the milling ‘boys’ with new router bit shelves. It’s developed into such a great work space, that sometimes they just don’t want to go home at the end of the day.
My father (1919-2013) was born with salt water in his veins. Boats were it for him. And although not formally trained as a naval architect he was a self-taught boat designer and member of the Society of Small Craft Designers. My childhood holds memories of him spending long evenings – night after night – hunched over his drafting table deep in the dungeon of our basement.
One of his customers was William (Bill) Smith – an airborne pilot and member of the BC Forest Service. Bill had a dream and came to dad. Together they came up with a design and a plan. Unfortunately, he contracted Lou Gehrig’s Disease and as I was still ‘knee high to a grasshopper’ my details are sketchy. I do however remember the hours both my Dad and Bill spent on this project. Sadly Bill died far too young before achieving his dream.
I do not recall what happened to Bill’s family or the boat – which was never finished. I do have a vague recollection of Margaret (Bill’s wife) finding a seller for the hull. As I was sorting through my dad’s boxes and file cabinets (I’m talking income taxes from 1957; utility bills from the 80’s) I did come across this photo (below right) and felt it deserved sharing.
We all have dreams. Certainly Jan has more than his fair share. Long may they live. And if we only see a quarter to closure, we are surely blessed.
Wayne makes these lures from 2×2 Alaskan Yellow Cedar. He was kind enough to share is technique and a few photos of the “rewards” received in the Cape Cod Canal.
I take 2X2 Alaska Yellow Cedar and turn it on a lathe down to a 6 inch Cape Cod Pencil. Through a drilled hole I insert a stainless welding wire, picking up a swivel half way through and a tail weight. Then comes a Spar varnish and BIN primer, after that comes airbrushing a pattern before epoxy and hooks.
Quite and art form! And they work too… just look at the spoils from a trip to the Cape Cod Canal in 2012, they caught 100lbs of fish but only kept 50lbs.