The following tips were curated by us from the lovely Meredith at insockmonkeyslippers.com her site has some great recipes as well!
- VARIETY OF CURED MEATS AND SALAMI; 3 or more selections. Keep the cured meats sliced very thin and the sausages and salami either sliced thin or cubed. Figure on serving 3 slices of each variety for each person.
- CURED MEATS – Try Coppa (cured pork shoulder), Jamon Serrano (Spanish ham), Prosciutto (Italian ham), Mocetta (cured beef tenderloin).
- SAUSAGES/SALAMI – Try Spanish Dry Chorizo, or a dry-cured Finochietta or Casalingo.
- PATÉ – A paté is a mixture of cooked ground meat with additions like vegetables, truffles and nuts, minced into a creamy spreadable paste. It’s not a must-have on a board but it brings a different flavor and texture; and can be purchased by the slice, making it extremely affordable. Spread on water crackers or thinly sliced rye bread.
- SOMETHING PICKLED – Pickled vegetables are a fantastic pairing with meats. Have at least one selection. Try gherkins (tiny pickles), pickled red onions, pickled okra, olives or pickled mushrooms. A pickled something is a must! Our favourite………eggplant!
New Product: Sandwich Serving Boards or platters.
Dimensions: 5/8″ x 8.5″ x 17″
Available in Eastern Maple & Cherry – $15.00 each
Galiano Island, Montague Harbour
Every year we brave the weather (however wet it may be) and spend two glorious days camping, boating, fishing, relaxing & eating… Good times were had and oh boy were we well fed!
We carry lots of great gifts for the wood lover in your life.
- Grilling Planks in your choice of alder, maple or red cedar.
For those who can’t decide, there’s always the trusty gift certificate. Any denomination you’d like!
Happy Holidays from West Wind!
Is it time to scrub down the bar-b-que and turn your thoughts to warm weather activities? Well at least on the West Coast it is Check out Volume 12 – August 2007 – for our Smokin’ Hot Article on wondrous wood flavours. Jan’s personal favourite – Alder. He says “It’s just plain sweet”.
WOW Your Guests!
Don’t forget our BBQ grilling planks. They are available in four sizes in three species: Western Red Cedar, Western Maple and Alder. Weather not co-operating? Bring the outdoor party in. They can easily be used in your kitchen oven as well.
It was our pleasure to sponsor, once again, the Island Chef’s Collaborative Food Fair. This year we supplied the 1200 serving plates with wine glass cut-outs seen below.