Built by Jan during our early years of family life and marriage, I think it kept him focused and sane.
She has a Howard Chappelle 21’6” fisherman’s launch hull and a William Garden designed cabin structure. Eighteen hundred hours were spent on her creation; starting with the lofting in 1981. Carvel planked of Western Red Cedar with splined seams over traditional steam-bent oak ribs.
Two Year Old Olivia leaning against the Hull Frames
New Arrivals this week (July 7th) include:
- Vessel design by A. Mason, Model Sedan Flybridge
- Built in 1957 by Chivers Boatworks of Victoria, B.C.
- Carvel planked red cedar on oak frames
- 55hp, Chrysler Nissan diesel 4-cyl engine installed new in 1977
Boat purchased on December 31, 1965 out of Canoe Cove by current owner. It was used during summer months out of Qualicum Beach between 1966 and 1982. It has been well maintained and kept dry in boatshed during winter months. Has been in storage in covered boatshed since 1982. Have copies of all three surveys performed since 1965. The last one dated April 1982.
Open to any reasonable offers to the right home! For more information contact Bill Seymour at firstname.lastname@example.org or by phone at 250-474-0548.
Material to Build Two “Nymph” Canoes – Sold as one Complete Package – Includes:
Drawings from Guillemont Kayaks – One Set (Value $90)
Wood Strips (Value $600):
Sitka Spruce (55 strips) at 1/8” x ¾” x 12’ long
Western Red Cedar (54 strips) at 1/8” x ¾” x 12’ long
Sapele Mahogany (41 strips) at 1/8” x ½” x 12’ long
MDF Strips (Value $160)
¾” MDF – Cut in strips for mould station
6 pieces at 16” x 8’ long
14 pieces at 8” x 8’ long
14 pieces at 1” x 8’ long
If you have the dream, this could bring you closer to it. Contact us if you are interested!
photo courtesy of LMS Museum.
Robert and Margaret Lawson (Ladysmith, BC) of Brisen Boatworks donated this HMCS Rainbow Skiff to the Ladysmith Maritime Society (LMS) in 2010. She entered retirement through public auction in 1929, and since then has languished as a lady of leisure – enjoying recreational ownership until 1977.
At that point, Barry Philbrook took her over until passing her onto Robert and Margaret in 1999; having never fulfilled his dream of restoration. As an aside, Barry built our treasured 35’ Ed Monk Sr. cruiser as a custom runabout for Owen Fowler; a means of commuting between Sidney and the Tortoise Islets (off Portland Island). We are told this was Barry’s 3rd boat while still under apprenticeship; built at Philbrook’s & Son Boatyard (Victoria, BC) in 1957.
For the next 11 years, between Robert and John Rodd, much work was accomplished on the Rainbow Skiff; both archival information and actual restoration. She was donated to the LMS in hope that restoration could find completion.
She is still waiting for her final make-over; task list available. Person(s) with skill needed!!
Here’s the story. Enjoy the read. Read more
Last issue we talked about our sponsoring of the UBC Robotic Sailboat team, they are gearing up for what should be an exciting competition.
They’ve made some great strides since that issue, especially in the construction of the cold-moulded hull and their control system and routing architecture… super nerdy and we love it!
Visit ubcsailbot.org for more updates on this project.
Photo courtesy of the UBC Sailbot blog.